Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Nishioka suigenchi koen

Went to Nishioka koen on the 23rd and saw mostly the usual residents with a few new arrivals for the year. At least new for me as I have not been doing as much birding lately as I would like.
Some of the highlights were:
Narcissus Flycatchers (many)
Blue-and-white Flycatchers (many)
Brown Flycatchers
Asian Stubtail
Common Kingfisher
Gray Thrush (few calling...probably being mid day?)
Japanese Grosbeak (many)
Red-flanked Bluetail
Japanese Green Pigeon (new for the year)
Oriental Cuckoo
Siberian Blue Robin (new for the year, calling male located about 3km walk past the lake)
Honey Buzzard (flying over)
Common Sandpipers

Other birds of interest lately were: I heard my first Common Cuckoo of the year behind my house on the 22nd, and I saw a flock of about 10 Needle-tailed Swifts near a small park in S. Sapporo, also my first for the year. In the same area I heard about 5-6 Sakhalin leaf Warblers while walking between two small waterfalls near Fureai no mori.

1 comment:

Stuart Price said...

Some pretty good stuff there. I've never been to Teuri by the way, it's on the 'list'.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Anytime you're down this way get in touch, I'll do the same if I head up your way........